Experiencing a personalized online interaction is a major expectation of prospects and customers today.
But what are savvy companies doing to address this important data-driven marketing goal?
To find out, Ascend2 and our Research Partners fielded the Data-Driven Marketing Survey. We thank the participants of this survey for sharing their valuable insights about this important marketing topic with us, and you.
The charts in this edition of the study titled the Data-Driven Marketing for Personalization Survey Summary Report represent the average of all market segments responding to the survey. Specific segments from the survey are reported on separately and exclusively by our participating Research Partners.
This research has been produced for your use. Put it to work in your own marketing strategy. Clip the charts and write about them in your blog or post them on social media. Please share this research credited as published.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Data-driven marketing goals
- Rating strategic success
- Identifying Barriers to success
- Goals versus barriers
- Driving the sales cycle
- Tactical effectiveness
- How effectiveness is changing
- Tactical difficulty
- Tactical resources used
- Effectiveness versus difficulty
DATA-DRIVEN MARKETING GOALS
Personalizing the customer experience is a top priority for 70% of data-driven marketing strategies.
RATING STRATEGIC SUCCESS
More than a third (37%) of companies consider their data-driven marketing strategy best-in-class compared to their competition, with another 44% describing their success as above average.
IDENTIFYING BARRIERS TO SUCCESS
The most significant barriers to achieving data-driven marketing success for about half of all companies are integrating data across platforms and enriching data quality and completeness.
GOALS VERSUS BARRIERS
Personalizing the customer experience is an important a goal for more than twice the percent of companies surveyed (70%) than it is a significant barrier to data-driven marketing success (32%).
DRIVING THE SALES CYCLE
Data-driven marketing is useful in all types of sales scenarios but essential when it comes to sales cycles that are long and complex, involving multiple decision-makers.
Effectively personalizing email messages – a top data-driven marketing personalization tactic – requires quality contact data that is complete and integrated across platforms.
HOW EFFECTIVENESS IS CHANGING
The effectiveness of data-driven marketing personalization is increasing for a noteworthy total of 95% of companies surveyed. That leaves a mere 5% experiencing a decline in effectiveness.
Collecting lead intelligence, and using this intelligence to personalize website content, are difficult personalization tactics to execute for 50% and 48% of companies respectively.
TACTICAL RESOURCES USED
The greater the degree of difficulty, the more likely a company is to outsource. That’s why 85% of companies execute all or part of the personalization tactics using external resources.
EFFECTIVENESS VERSUS DIFFICULTY
Tactics that are more effective than difficult – such as email message personalization, creating targeted landing pages and triggered email campaigns – are less likely to be outsourced.
Ascend2 benchmarks the performance of popular digital marketing technologies and strategies using a standardized questionnaire and proprietary 3-Minute Survey format.
This survey was fielded to a panel of marketing influencers during the week of July 10, 2016. The 229 respondents are representative of the following:
Number of Employees
- More than 500: 70%
- 50 to 500: 15%
- Fewer than 50: 15%
Role in the Company
- Owner / Partner / CXO: 27%
- VP / Director / Manager: 56%
- Non-Management: 17%
Primary Marketing Channel
- B2B: 41%
- B2C: 36%
- B2B and B2C Equally: 23%