CONVERSION RATE OPTIMIZATION
Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) is a systematic approach to maximizing the completed calls-to-action on a website.
But how are companies converting more website visitors to leads and revenue?
To find out, Ascend2 and our Research Partners fielded the Conversion Rate Optimization Survey. We thank the participants of this survey for sharing their valuable insights about the art and science of this important marketing topic with us, and you.
The charts in this edition of the study titled the Conversion Rate Optimization Survey Summary Report represent the average of all market segments responding to the survey. Specific market segments from the survey are reported on separately and exclusively by our participating Research Partners.
This research has been produced for your use. Put it to work in your own marketing strategy. Clip the charts and write about them in your blog or post them on social media. Please share this research credited as published.
Table of Contents
- Conversion Rate Optimization CRO’s role in marketing
- Most important goals
- Strategic success
- Barriers to success
- Most effective tactics
- How effectiveness is changing Most difficult tactics
- Executional resources used Effectiveness versus difficulty
CRO’S ROLE IN MARKETING
71% of marketing influencers surveyed describe conversion rate optimization’s role in the overall success of marketing programs as “Very important”.
MOST IMPORTANT GOALS
Increasing website leads (or sales on ecommerce sites) is a most important goal for 89% of companies. 69% are also focused on accountability for increasing marketing ROI.
While more than two-thirds of companies (68%) consider their CRO strategy successful to some extent, the remaining 32% have yet to succeed with conversion rate optimization.
BARRIERS TO SUCCESS
For a majority of companies (61%), the lack of an effective strategy is a significant barrier to success. Without an effective strategic roadmap to get you there, it is difficult to find success.
MOST EFFECTIVE TACTICS
Converting website visitors is an art and a science. While A/B testing, a top tactic for 54% of companies, is a science, content personalization (51%) and responsive design (40%) is an art.
HOW EFFECTIVENESS IS CHANGING
In the case of conversion rate optimization effectiveness, change is good. In fact, CRO effectiveness is increasing significantly for 30% of companies and increasing marginally for another 60%.
MOST DIFFICULT TACTICS
Content personalization and multivariate testing are the most difficult CRO tactics to execute for 57% and 55% of companies respectively.
EXECUTIONAL RESOURCES USED
Tactically, conversion rate optimization can be very challenging to execute. It requires a unique set of skills and experience. That’s why 70% of companies outsource all or part of their CRO tactics.
EFFECTIVENESS VERSUS DIFFICULTY
A/B testing is the most effective tactic used and the least difficult to execute. Conversely, multivariate testing is the least effective tactic used and second most difficult to execute.
Ascend2 benchmarks the performance of popular digital marketing practices using a standardized questionnaire and proprietary 3-Minute Survey format.
This survey was fielded to our research subscribers from May 1 to 7, 2016. 177 marketing influencers representing the following segments completed the survey:
Number of Employees
- More than 500: 19%
- 50 to 500: 30%
- Fewer than 50: 51%
Role in the Company
- Owner / Partner / CXO: 45%
- VP / Director / Manager: 41%
- Non-Management: 14%
Primary Marketing Channel
- B2B: 57%
- B2C: 24%
- B2B and B2C Equally: 20%